Do you put your toothbrush back in the same spot everyday?
You don’t think about it. You’ve a practiced routine. It’s a no brainer.
What if more parts of your life were like that? Oh the time you could create and the energy you could save by applying meaningless jobs to the same ‘toothbrush principle’.
By de-cluttering your mind from the things that do not matter you have more brain space for the things that do.
Here are my top 5 things to do as regular as your toothbrush:
- Get petrol at the same time every week. It doesn’t matter if my tank is ¾ full I get fuel at the same time at the same place every week. I hate refuelling – and this way I never have to worry about running out of fuel.
- Once a week (at the same time each week)- create a menu plan from seasonal produce and shop on-line. This is guaranteed to save you time and money and you don’t have to got to the shops!
- Pay your bills at the same time each week. When the mail comes Place your bills in a file to be paid / to be actioned / queried etc. (And it’s a good idea to open your mail over your recycling bins so the envelopes go straight in). If you receive electronic alerts – put them into an email file and use the one time per week to pay them/set them up to be paid on the due date (never pay your bills early!).
- Turn off your alerts – read you email correspondence twice per day – set these times and stick with them. Let people know that’s what you do – and to call you if it’s an urgent matter.
- Exercise at the same time every day. Are you a morning exercise person or do you prefer the afternoon. For me it’s every morning. My alarm is set for 5.43am. Whatever you prefer lock the same time on the same day. Never book appointments that clash.
What are your ‘toothbrush principle’ ideas?